Mental Health Disability Services (MHDS) is one of three units within Disability Services at York University. Our role is to provide academic accommodations for students with documented mental health disabilities in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and York Senate Policy on Academic Accommodation for Students with Disabilities. Our Program is not meant to replace mental health support available in the community. Our focus is on providing academic support to students with mental health disabilities and does not include treatment.
- Maximize the educational experience of students with mental health disabilities so that they enjoy academic success
- Encourage students with mental health disabilities to become as independent as possible by familiarizing them with university policies and procedures and campus resources
- Provide ‘reasonable’ academic accommodations to students with mental health disabilities to help maximize their educational experience
- Educate campus community about mental health disabilities and their impact on students’ academic performance
Eligibility for our Program
Part-time and full-time undergraduate or graduate students registered at York University and living with a mental health disability who require support related to their education can register with MHDS.
Mental health disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- bipolar disorder
- anxiety disorders (e.g., OCD, GAD, social phobia, panic attacks, PTSD)
- eating disorders
Students diagnosed with a learning disability, AD/HD or an Autism Spectrum Disorder should contact Learning Disability Services (LDS) regarding registration.
Learn how to register with MHDS on our Registration Info page.
New at MHDS – Important Information for MHDS Students
Admin Drop-In Appointments
- For students who are already registered with MHDS
- Monday to Wednesday, 2:30pm – 3:30pm
- To learn more visit our Admin Drop-In Appointments page
Online requests for Letters of Accommodation
Starting August 2015, many students registered with MHDS will be able to complete an online form to request their Letters of Accommodation. Returning students can learn more at Request for Letters of Accommodation.