Mental Health Disability Services (MHDS) is one of three units within Disability Services at York University. Our role is to provide academic accommodations for students with documented mental health disabilities in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and York Senate Policy on Academic Accommodation for Students with Disabilities. Our Program is not meant to replace mental health support available in the community. Our focus is on providing academic support to students with mental health disabilities and does not include treatment.
- Maximize the educational experience of students with mental health disabilities so that they enjoy academic success
- Encourage students with mental health disabilities to become as independent as possible by familiarizing them with university policies and procedures and campus resources
- Provide 'reasonable' academic accommodations to students with mental health disabilities to help maximize their educational experience
- Educate campus community about mental health disabilities and their impact on students' academic performance
Eligibility for our Program
Part-time and full-time undergraduate or graduate students registered at York University and living with a mental health disability who require support related to their education can register with MHDS.
Mental health disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- bipolar disorder
- anxiety disorders (e.g., OCD, GAD, social phobia, panic attacks, PTSD)
- eating disorders
Students diagnosed with a learning disability, AD/HD or an Autism Spectrum Disorder should contact Learning Disability Services (LDS) regarding registration.
Learn how to register with MHDS on our Registration Info page.
Important Information for MHDS Students
Admin Drop-In Appointments
- Drop-in is for students who are already registered with MHDS
- Monday and Wednesday, 2:30pm - 3:30pm - Students will not be seen before 2:30pm for drop-in and these appointments will not extend beyond 3:30pm (the final drop-in appointments on any given day will start at 3:10pm - students who arrive after this time will not be seen).
- To learn more visit our Admin Drop-In Appointments page
Online requests for Letters of Accommodation
Students registered with MHDS can complete an online form to request their Letters of Accommodation. To learn more visit Request for Letters of Accommodation.